Welcome Guest, Not a member yet? Create Account  
Or login with your social network account

[Discussion] Fictional legislature/government?

This idea was raised a few months ago, but to avoid gravedigging I decided to create a new thread.

More specifically, I would strongly suggest the establishment of a roleplay government/legislature in the vein of the NSG Senate, which unfortunately is no longer extant but nevertheless provides a model for the type of roleplay I'd suggest. To wit, we could establish ourselves as the legislature/government of a fictional nation presumably set in the real-world; this could be in the present or the past, but I would recommend the present, personally - it could provide an interesting platform for "discussing RL issues", as Lord Dominator pointed out in the previous thread. We would serve/roleplay as legislators/politicians, form political parties, roleplay in the world in generalestablish governments formed by competitive electionsworldbuild the nationwrite, debate, and vote on legislationand even simulate elections based on a mixture of voting/roleplay/randomness á la NSSports, etc.

Some might argue that, due to the war, right now is a poor time to establish such a roleplay, but I would argue that it's rather the best time to do as such; the activity brought about by the war can be leveraged to establish a long-term roleplay and pillar of activity. For what it's worth, I was extensively involved in the NSG Senate and amongst other things served as President in one of the incarnations (Elizia, the fifth incarnation), so I'd be happy to help get it off the ground, so to speak; moreover, I maintain connections with ex-members, some of whom have been interested in reestablishing the roleplay in some capacity, and therefore could try to recruit some folks.

When it comes to OOC organization and administration of the roleplay, I would personally recommend it be at least quasi-independent of the government. This would allow the government, itself more limited in its activities/members than the citizenry, to devote itself fully to the war;  moreover, quasi-independence and self-governance (preferably through at least some level of democratic organization) can help foster a sense of civic participation, engagement, and belonging without threatening the security of the Delegacy and/or involving Lazarus in conflicts related to foreign policy, the Delegacy, etc.: the best of both worlds.
The greatest happiness of the greatest number is the foundation of morals and legislation. - Jeremy Bentham, A Fragment on Government

All statements made on this forum are official communiqués of the Skadifronic government authored by Valdemar Ólafursson of Clan Svarti, Deputy General Secretary of the Supreme Popular Assembly of Skadifron, Popular Goði of Foreign Affairs, Third Lawspeaker of for the Supreme Ráð of Skadifron, Member of the Supreme Ráð of Skadifron (representing Älvdalen), at-large Representative of the General Organization of Diplomats for the All-Union Congress of Syndicates, and Private First Class of the Skadifronic Militia (Älvdalen branch).

I think this should be the Lazarene Federation, and it should be unicameral, and the legislators should be Senators.
Assistant Minister for Media and Events
Former Chief Justice of the Grand Court
Former Vice Delegate
Former Guardian

[Image: 3cgBDsj.jpg]

(12-18-2018, 06:06 PM)Constie Wrote: I think this should be the Lazarene Federation, and it should be unicameral, and the legislators should be Senators.

I'm more ambivalent on the name, as I think it should be a name appropriate for the language/culture(s) we'd decide upon for the country, perhaps with a Lazarene spin on it (Bethany, for example), but I'm otherwise agreed with you on the latter two fronts.
The greatest happiness of the greatest number is the foundation of morals and legislation. - Jeremy Bentham, A Fragment on Government

All statements made on this forum are official communiqués of the Skadifronic government authored by Valdemar Ólafursson of Clan Svarti, Deputy General Secretary of the Supreme Popular Assembly of Skadifron, Popular Goði of Foreign Affairs, Third Lawspeaker of for the Supreme Ráð of Skadifron, Member of the Supreme Ráð of Skadifron (representing Älvdalen), at-large Representative of the General Organization of Diplomats for the All-Union Congress of Syndicates, and Private First Class of the Skadifronic Militia (Älvdalen branch).

I think this Senate should function as a parliamentary democracy, As it makes it easier for political intrigue to occur.

Perhaps with a President elected by an electoral college, for added drama
Former Vice Delegate
Former Guardian

[-] The following 1 user Likes Constie's post:
  • Andrew

I would say Bi or Uni legislature works yeah, and the name maybe could be something not Lazarus itself but something like Lazarus? A corporate democracy would be funny, kinda like a Patrician/Doge setup akin to the old Merchant Republics. We can have characters who are there as the reps of Wealthy men and women and vying for power themselves or something like that... with the main point of the RP being from the Legislature itself. Assuming said Legislature has checks and the like akin to the U.S where there could be parties forming to try and put certain people into good positions outside the Legislature etc etc

Overall I support a regional nation/fictional nation RP setup
[-] The following 1 user Likes Legalist Zombal's post:
  • Andrew

RPing as one of the Italian Merchant Republics would be cool, I highly agree.
Former Vice Delegate
Former Guardian

Gonna bump this thread, I have some ideas for this.